In addition to our regular app challenges, I'd like to start testing out some challenges that aren't app-specific. You can join that conversation at New Challenge Discussion.
For this challenge, I created a backing track using SessionBand - Jazz edition. The chord progression is provided at the bottom of this post, and the wav file can be downloaded directly from the SoundCloud player. If you'd like, you can download a pdf version of the chart and the SessionBand file here. Let me know if you have any issues downloading the files.
The challenge is to add your own solo using the instrument and/or app(s) of your choice. The track starts with a head lasting 32 measures, followed by 64 measures of just the backing band for soloing, and then a 32-measure rehash of the head.
If jazz and/or soloing is not your thing, you're still welcome to participate by sampling, remixing, re-harmonizing or otherwise mutilating the backing track.
Since this challenge requires a bit of musical analysis, I'd like to stretch this one to 2 weeks. Please use the comments to discuss strategies, scales, etc. The deadline will be Tuesday, July 2nd at 11:59 pm your time.
Here are the rules:
- If you're in, post a comment letting the world know and listing collaborators if applicable.
- You can use any apps you want for this challenge.
- Post your recording somewhere folks can hear it, preferably SoundCloud.
- Post in the comments when you're all done. Include a link to your track and a little info on how you created your track.
- The deadline is Tuesday, July 2nd at 11:59 pm wherever you are.
- This is a challenge, not a contest, so there are no winners. Or, maybe we'll all be winners and anyone who doesn't participate is a loser. If you want to participate, but have a valid reason not to, you can choose to be a runner-up, wanna-be, or could-have-been. If arbitrary titles for a silly challenge offend you, please consult your therapist. :)
So who's in?
*Disclaimers and Stuff
This track is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license. That means you have full permission to create and post derivative works as long as you provide attribution by including a link to this post, and license your derivative work under the same license. You may use your derived work for commercial purposes.
The sounds used in this track are from the iOS app SessionBand - Jazz Edition and are 100% copyright free. More details can be found here: http://sessionbandapp.com/SessionBand_Support.html